You would not believe how many sock patterns are named after characters and locations from Lord of the Rings. In searching for patterns for this past project and other socks, I found Bombadil socks, Rivendell socks, Faramir socks, Treebeard socks…and so many more that I can’t even hope to list them all here. However, the simplest and loveliest of all of them were these.
Although I am a proven die-hard fan of Knit Picks sock yarns (which I have been working with a lot during this project), my yarn snob side was starting to get antsy to work with something a little more…special.
My friend Adrienne, as part of my self-imposed Sockpocalypse Summer, chose this exquisite skein of Mountain Colors Crazyfoot in Harmony Lake for her custom pair. When I saw the pattern’s simple mirror-image cable design, I knew the combo of yarn and pattern would be absolutely perfect. Mountain Colors is often some pricey stuff, but the deep color saturation and inventive colorways make for one-of-a-kind long-lasting garments.
Crazyfoot is a tightly-spun multi-ply that’s mostly superwash wool, which provides for unmatched stitch definition, often causing me to step back and just gaze adoringly at long expanses of plain stockinette stitch.
Speaking of plain stockinette stitch, there was one point where I deviated from the pattern as written, just to take advantage of that precise stitch definition and to not detract from the simple, elegant cable. I did the heel flaps as plain stockinette, slipping one stitch at the start of each row to help with picking up the gusset, rather than the published garter stitch or eye of partridge options.
It just felt like this created a more streamlined, smoother appearance, which would call more attention to the mirror-image construction than the nuts and bots of sock pattern writing.
However, this project wasn’t without its own tiny drama, although not as dramatic as last time.
As I was humming along on the second sock, I got nearly all three 18-row repeats into the “leg” portion and suddenly had a horrible realization. There was no row 15.
I went back and looked at the directions for the right sock, and yes, there was a row 15. But no row 15 on the left sock. So…my brain exploded as a I realized I’d been knitting each cable pass 1 row shorter than the previous sock, resulting in a sock that was three rows shorter overall and cables that visibly (at least to me) didn’t match. There was absolutely no way that my brain was going to let that slide.
So, I ripped out nearly the entire thing and counted back to start over the whole section, now with row 15 intact. I sent a message to the designer through Ravelry, and she was very gracious about it, so hopefully it gets fixed soon. I just couldn’t have lived with myself knowing that the other sock wasn’t a perfect match.
And just look at how beautiful those cables are in the Crazyfoot. So simple, but so elegant.
We’re in the home stretch now, as I just cast on for the third-to-last pair of Sockpocalypse Socks on Saturday. There might be a bit of a delay as I study up for my NP certification test next week and attempt to not panic every single day. We’ll see how that goes.